Wk 6 - Screencasting - Student-Teachers - PayPal Tutorial

This week we all learned how to Screen Cast. I think the best use of this web tool is for creating a tutorial or a how-to video. The idea is literally the name, you learn how to cast your computer screen for other viewers to watch you operate the computer. Here is the video I created about how to use PayPal.

I ended up choosing Screencastify for my finished product, but not until after many failed attempts to record on a program I will not choose to use again. Screencasitify is a great program and easy to use, especially if you are a Google user! The tutorial videos lay out the use of the site really clearly, the extension is just part of your chrome web-browser so no major hard-drive storage required. The best part of this program is the ability to embed microphone, video-cam, the browser alone, or the entire desktop; there are many options for how to record what you want to do. I love the pause option as well!

At first I really disliked this assignment, but I soon realized it was the program I disliked and not the assignment. I first signed up to use what was formerly Jing and is now known as TechSmith Caputure. I had a hard time knowing which of the several programs on the website it was that I actually needed for my coursework and I didn't like that I had to download materials to my hard drive. We actually write what is called a SWAS for our course materials just about every week and this week was my first time running into a program I absolutely hated. Here is the review of the program I didn't choose to go with.

Choice: TechSmith Capture (Links to an external site.) (formerly Jing)

  • Strengths: I am not a fan of this program so far. Strength is that it is a free program and I can sign up via clicking "Sign up with Google". Not much else for me. I am definitely going to be switching to the program Screen-Castify , mostly based off of the numerous feedback points seen here in other SWAS's.
  • Weaknesses: The program was difficult to use. I had to reread the assignment to know which product specifically I needed. I suppose that is a pro for someone out there that there are several options for them to use this platform...(?) For me it was complicated and too many options to sift through. Another weakness is that the tutorial video didn't pop up until I accidentally clicked on something I didn't realize was a button. The tutorial was sort of helpful but not quite detailed enough to help with much else than uploading already existing files or using the screencaster tool for only still photos and not videos. I managed to screw around and take a few screenshots and when I got to editing with the text and arrows I found two more things I didn't really enjoy. 1. The layers are the order you create them, wasn't aware of that nor is there any easy option to bring to front or change layers of certain images/texts/arrows/etc. 2. The text in one box must all be the same size. I wanted to put a small reference/source indicator into the text explanation, but make it smaller, like this (*1) , but not unless I put it in a new text box of its own.  Also, I had trouble adding new content to a playlist after it was already created. I could remove things, but found I could only add things once I deleted everything and started from the beginning. I can't make a playlist in progress, so-to-speak.
  • Accessibility/Usability issues: This program is not easy or friendly. I am not recommending it unless you know how to use screen-casting programs already and just want to make a basic presentation. It is similar to a PowerPoint, but a bit more live.
  • Suitable applications of this tool: Maybe in business? I really had a disliking for this application the whole time I was using it. I don't know who would want to use this... People who already know how to screen-cast and want to create a  basic finished product without and modern day zazz...? I don't recommend. 

Here is the video I produced with the Screencastify to teach people how to use PayPal!

PayPal is an online banking institution. It is pretty much the standard for secure online transactions. Shoppers and Merchants can use PayPayl. You can instantly send and receive money, split bills with your friends, and donate to your favorite organization, among other types of monetary transactions. I have familiar with PayPal since probably the early 2000's. I do not have a PayPal account for myself, but I have shopped from merchants who use PayPal to secure my purchase with my debit or credit card through their website. PayPal is pretty easy to use. I personally am much more fond of Venmo, a competing money transfer application.

Here's the video embedded into this blog post too! :)

Please enjoy!

Comments